Sunday, December 31, 2006

Bird List

Just downloaded the British Birds check list! There are 573 species on the official list (inc 1 extinct - not sure how that works)though that does include oddities such as Swinhoe's storm petrel and the blue-cheeked bee eater and several others I'd never heard of. I narrowed the list down to a more reasonable 300 birds which I thought I might actually have a chance of seeing one day. Still pretty amazing for a small group of islands. My life list stands at 176 and my 2006 list was 128 species so a long way to go.
This year's firsts: grasshopper warbler, woodlark, bittern, little owl, shore lark, woodcock, spotted redshank, red throated diver and black necked grebe.
Best birds: kingfisher in Valentines park, barn owl at Snettisham, all the above

2007 wishlist: puffin, redstart, bearded tit, cettis warbler, long tailed duck, slavonian grebe, red breasted merganser
Plus trip to Farne Islands!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home