Saturday, January 14, 2006

Jasper FForde

I've been re-reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series recently. I think he's another of those writers who read better the second time round, Terry Pratchett being another. Actually thinking about it I read most books I like at least twice, once for the story and once for enjoying just being in the book.
Anyway I've re-read Something Rotten and Lost in a Good Book (and would have re-read the Well of Lost Plots except that I can't find it -have you got it Clare?) and just loved them. I love the idea of a society run on literature and bootleg cheddar cheese and being able to get inside books. Favourite bits -the narrative proximity alarm, Hamlet watching all the versions of his play and deciding he liked Mel Gibson's best (I did too), the footnoterphone and the notion of characters taking a holiday in the character swap programme, oh and Heathcliffe having to attend anger management classes. His website is also great fun - see the Mammoth migration route map and the seven wonders of Swindon! I especially liked the adverts - Rhett Butler and Scarlet offering B&B at Tara etc ...
Jasper Fforde
I suppose being a natural enthusiast I just like writers (or anybody) who seems to genuinely enjoy what they're doing....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home